You are hereTower Rumburak

Tower Rumburak


By frantisek dubsky - Posted on 05 May 2010

Leg number: 
2
Starting point: 
Nové Syrovice
End point: 
Bítov
Lenght (km): 
10
Difficulty: 
intermediate
Road surface: 
digging up road

How will you get to us?

Bus service: the nearest bus station you can find in the centre of the village Bítov, opposite to the municipal office. The bus lines head to Znojmo, Moravské Budějovice and Jihlava. The way to the castle is 2 km long by foot through the forest or by the road.

Train service: the nearest train station is about 15 km from Bítov in the village Šumná and it connects the cities Znojmo and Jihlava.

Shipping: is secured from June until September with the stop right under the castle. The ship station is on the mole in Vranov nad Dyjí, 14,5 km far from Bítov. Contact: www.lodnidopravavranov.cz

Car park: you can also use the car park above the castle. From here it is about 600 meters downhill by foot. To park directly ahead the castle without the valid licence is prohibited.

The nearest frontier crossing to Austria: Vratěnín - 14 km, destined for double-track vehicles, open year round from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Čížov - Hardeg - 25 km, for pedestrian and bicyclist only, opened from 15th April until 2nd November, between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Šafov - 13 km, open at vacation weekends, irregularly. For pedestrian, bicyclist and private cars.

History: 

Surrounding monuments

National chateau Vranov nad Dyjí

A castle stood in place of nowadays chateau in the 11th century. It was a part of the defensive line against the Austrians. Primarily it was an ancestral property, many of the blue blooded clans were replaced here (as the Lichtenburgs , and in 1614 the Althans). They rebuilt the castle into a baroque residence with the help of architect Johann Bernard Fischer of Elrach.

Interiors are made in the style of noble habitation of the 18th and 19th century. The chateau is situated in the protected area of National park Podyjí. Under its administration is also a medieval ruin of Nový Hrádek.
Contact: vranov@brno.npu.cz, phone number: +420 515296215. www.zamekvranov.cz
 

National chateau Uherčice

The chateau has an interesting Renaissence architecture, a stucco interior and a wide English park. It used to be a prominent aristocratic residence.

Its nowadays no good architectural situation is because of it was occupied by the army and the state farm since 1948. Contact: uhercice@brno.npu.cz, phone number: +420 515298222. www.zamek-uhercice.cz
 

Cornštejn castle

The ruin of the castle that was built by the Lichtenburgs in the first half of the 14th century. It was conquered by the king George of Poděbrady, and since the 16th century it is abandoned. Nowadays it's under the administration of the South-Moravian museum in Znojmo, open to public in July and August. Contact: znojmuz@znojmuz.cz; www.znojmuz.cz
 

It's also possible to visit Hardeg (the 13th century) and Kaja (the 11th century) the neighbouring Austrian castles.

Nature: 

Castle flora

The interior flora

Interior of the castle is adorned with a pot greenery in the same way as at the time of Earls of Daun. This used to be their prestige summer-house. In the palace chambers there are some decorations of cut and dry flowers that are in harmony with the composition. In the corridors are mostly subtropical plants in containers – palm, bay and spindle trees.

Castle gardens

There are two gardens at the castle. The great garden “Burgartna” is in the lower part, where used to be an authentic wooden castle. After moving the castle core eastwards (the Lichtenburks, in 14th century) and building-up the stony castle was founded a breeding farm. Later it was rebuilt into a castle rest garden. The last owner, baron George Haas, transformed the garden and the whole castle into a private ZOO – one of the biggest of his time in our country (1912 – 1945). Today is garden leased to a private firm which recovers the tradition of ZOO and presents it with a similar fauna as baron George did.

The second castle garden – the bailey garden, is situated behind the palace, in the top part of the castle and its accessible across the drawbridge and through one of the prismatic towers. The garden was, at the time of Earls of Daun (1755 – 1904), kept in romantic style and also the wood species were planted here, but only the yew and chestnut trees survived. The garden is open at social gatherings and parties only.

Forest park

Earls of Daun (1755 – 1904) constructed a large forest park beyond the castle. It is full of the rest-stop and outlook on the castle and the canyon of rivers Želetavka and Dyje. Also they made a hunting path, reaching into a village Chvalatice and to the counter side called Dešovsko. The path takes up the ancient buyer's trail leading around the castle to Jihlava and Praha. The star-shaped forest park is bound to the original service yard Vranč on the east and to the lake of love along the village Zblovice. The rest is just the hunting path. There are even the exotic trees and woody species in the forest park. It's worth to mention the castle spring well – Burgquelle, it is situated on the earl path with a Lourdes Madona which is near the castle. The lakelet of love with a pavillon in the middle that used to be an object of repeated appointments. The stone bridge that leads to it is one of the oldest in our country, it's called the Straw bridge. It was originally a Romance bridge, but at the time of Earls of Daun was rebuilt - in between the abutments was put the broken arch. It's called the Straw bridge probably because it was covered with a straw roof at the war time. So it was easy to set it on fire and that's why the enemy couldn't enter the castle. The bridge is fragmenting today.

Red chapel stands on the footpath to new Bítov in one-time castle deer-park. It is built of fair-faced firebricks in the Gothic style (1885). There's a beautiful relief of Virgin Mary coronation inside.

No longer existent classicist pavillon Rotunda (1830) used to be a forest park view point of Cornštejn and Bítov. In front of the pavillon the harvest festival was celebrated. The peasants from Bítov and neighbourhood made glorifications of beer (from the castle brewery) and wine (from the bottom Daun estate - Skalice by Znojmo).

Below the castle Cornštejn, established by Rajmund of Lichtenburg in 14th century, used to be a holy shrine sacred to the Holy Trinity. The medieval shrine was reconstructed and nowadays it is flooded with water of Vranov dam. Its bottom can be seen at lower water level.

The stone hunt pavillon in Obora (the deer-park), nowadays it's fragmentary. This Gothic building comes from second Third of the 19th century. It was called Henry's rest stop, after Henry the earl of Daun (1836 – 1890).

Wilderness area – the Smoulder rock

The Smoulder rock is 0,244 km2 wide and you can find it in Bítov and Zblovice territory. In the south-west it joins the castle area. The altitude is 345 – 465 meters. The primeval vegetation that covers the steep inclines (over the left bank of Želetavka, c. 1 km from river Dyje) is the shelter for opulent number of beatles and insects that attracts the attention of birds.

Monumental zone – Vranov-Bítov area

In the interest of preservation the historic scenery character the monumental zone was proclaimed in April 2nd 2002. The zone is adjacent to the villages Zblovice, Vysočany, Oslnovice, Podmyče, Čížov, Horní Břečkov, a Chvalatice. The villages that fall within the zone are Bítov, Lančov, Vranov nad Dyjí, Lesná, Šumná and Štítary.